Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Bit about Collecting



This is a rather slow week around here so I always look forward to Wednesday Hodge Podge to punch it up a bit! heheheh!


1. Pokemon Go...your thoughts? Are you playing? Do you even know what it is? Uh,oh... touchy spot.... here goes..
You know what.. I actually have no clue.... except I think it must very addicting, as it appears so many are playing it.. and here is my stance on these things.... if they are on cell phones I condemn them... last month while driving to and from Boston.. 24 hours driving in all.. I was completely horrified by the number of drivers we passed who were driving erratically and were playing with their cell phone.. whether it was a game or texting or whatever it is... I have nothing but disdain for these drivers.. and I think we should start collecting car licence tag numbers and calling them into the authorities because these drivers are endangering everyone on the highway! We saw more wrecks this trip than ever before! Now that I got that off my chest.... there is something else... I have no idea, but I did read that some people believe that there is an demonic influence written into the game that is directed toward out young people.. all I can say to that is I wouldn't be surprised.

2. What was something you collected as a child? Do you still have that collection? If you're a parent what's something your own children collected? Have you ever camped out, stood in a crazy long queue, or paid a ridiculous sum for a 'collectible'?

As a child I collected composer figurines that I received each year of piano lessons each evening of my recital... I collected 12 in all. I must say I was very proud of them because they represented another year of accomplishment. and it instilled in me an interest in the very composers whose works I enjoyed playing. I do have the collection but it is packed away in the basement somewhere.... our daughter Amanda had several collections... I think one that she really enjoyed the most was collecting the pins from Hard Rock Cafe Restaurants...her favorite place to stop when we travelled.
No collectibles were worth    putting myself out for....
3. "Collect moments, not things"...tell us about a moment you've added to your collection this summer.

I think of many grandma's .. they live for loving attention of their beautiful and precious granddaughters, but in many cases it appears that those wee gals are much more enamored with granddaddy.. you know little girls and the guys in their lives... so a month ago when were visiting our sweetie, Id be telling a white lie if I didn't admit I got my feelings bruised just a little bit... but only because our visits are so short and we only see each other a few times a year...anyway after we got back from our visit we were having facetime on the computer as I greeted my precious Birdie... I reached out to her with arms wide and cried, 'OH, Birdie Ive missed you so much... I love, love, love, you," 


She looked to her mama and said, "Aw... Gaa Gaa loves me so much... I love her too""...
My heart melted and I asked Amanda to please bronze that moment for me!

4. What's something collecting dust in your home right now? Any plans to do something about it?
Amanda's swimming trophies in her room are collecting dust for sure....she doesn't want them,  and I cant get rid of them...  but I do need to just put them in a box  and store them away  from  the dust...  achooo!
5. A favorite song relating to time?
6. What's been your most frightening or your most interesting encounter with wildlife?
When I was about 8  my family  took a vacation into the Smoky Mountains  along the Blue Ridge Parkway and  we  were driving over Mount Mitchell, the highest mountain east of the Mississippi. Well, of course, we had to stop and take a photo  and we also had a picnic with us,  so we stopped at a picnic table at the overlook. Now the Smoky's are famous for their black bears...
Image result for black bear
so  we were enjoying our  picnic and  suddenly we  started hearing  a lot of clanging...  now there were several   table scattered throughout the area, but we were the only  tourists nearby and we  inferred that a critter must be  trapped inside one of the in ground  trash receptacles...  for the clanging was the  lid  slamming shut  repeatedly...  dad  surmised  that perhaps a bear had been  dining  there and  accidentally fell into the  pit and was trapped....  well, things got more interesting  every second as dad was such an animal lover he was determined to  go rescue the critter...  
Image result for raccoon trapped in inground trash bin
meanwhile,   the clanging was becoming  very frantic...  and mom and I were  becoming pretty skittish about  dad  releasing a   raving bear into  our midst.
 He said go get in the car,  he'd be fine...  and he  slipped on up  to the  trash bins to investigate...
Suddenly  with one  huge  blow the critter  jumped up and out  and scurried  over  a ways and looked back to see dad  running for all his might back to the car...  If I had had my camera  ready this is what I would have captured as daddy  was running  toward us.. just beyond him  I saw 
Image result for raccoon trapped in inground trash bin

7. On July 20, 1969 Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong set his foot down on the moon. If you could travel to the moon would you go? Why or why not?
I have no notion or desire to go to the moon....  I would be  airsick to beat the band and  wouldn't wish to defile the air side the  gravity free space OR INSIDE OF MY SUIT!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Yesterday my daddy would have been 97 years old...  but  the Lord called him home 3 years ago.
He and mom lived to celebrate their 70th  wedding anniversary


He was a great dad and  he  adored his  wonderful granddaughter..
You mean so very much to me,
And I want you to know
That you are always in my heart,
No matter where I go.





1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the problem of drivers using their phones. It is so dangerous and against the law in our state. I enjoyed your story about the wildlife varmint. I had a similar encounter with a opossum in a garbage can. Scary! How precious for your parents to have celebrated 70 years of marriage. My dad would have been 97 this year and my mother 98. We never stop missing them do we? As a grandmother of 8 ranging in age from 23 to 8, I can definitely identify with loving those babies regardless of their age. So good to visit with you today.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~