Friday, July 22, 2016

Friday's Fave Five

click icon to return to Susanne's Place.

Last weekend  Hubs and I  enjoyed    attending  our  family reunion..it was the 70th year  and  is very keen on genealogy...
 
it is held each year  at  Glenwood Church   where  my grand parents  attended church  and which their forebears  built. In the early days of the church it was serviced by a circuit riding preacher who rode his horse  over several miles preaching at country churches  along the Allegheny  ridges.
When my parents retired and moved back to be near their parents  they found the church had been closed for several years,  and  my mother was  hugely responsible for getting the  church reopened ... my  dad and a couple of other  neighbors  dug out the basement of the church with  shovels and  buckets... and created a lovely   fellowship and Sunday school room...as well as  restrooms.  So this church means so much to me and our family!It is  so sad, though, that in this generation there is no interest in  family ties or  genealogy  it seems..  I can remember when almost 200 folks would attend from all over the country..  This time  maybe there  were 25 in attendance.
 Later in the day Hubs and I visited  some cousins whom we  just don't get to see  nearly as much as  we'd love to...  such precious memories we share of our Granny and living in the  backwoods   of  SW Virginia.  He  urged me to  travel down past granny's home  to visit the family cemetery which had recently been beautified... I  am so glad we did!


First of all, it was  a fabulously beautiful day!


As I searched for my  family sites,  
I was  mesmerized by the beauty of the  surrounds..

So glad to find my grandparents stones..

and the stone of one of the four babies  who died before my dad was born.

Lastly,  I was  so  glad to be able to come away  with a tangible memory  of  my past...
  I  love this photo... I am the oldest of the cousins on both sides... here,  we are standing on grandma's porch... and I am holding Cindy... the look on my face says it all.. "Hurry, take this baby before I drop her down the steps!!!!"


circa 1957
What a bunch of urchins!!


12 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting post and the church is just beautiful and charming. How proud you should be of your grandparents. I've enjoyed reading the various sections of your blog. I agree that being an empty nester takes some time to settle into, but there are joys in the stage of life unlike any other. Your house is so lovely! What I would give for the windows you have in your dining room. It looks so cozy and welcoming.

    Have a good weekend, Schotzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from Friday's Fave Five.

    I share your love of genealogy. It has become one of my great passions. My uncle (more like a brother, as he's my age) and I seem to be the only family members into it, though. We mention things to our cousins, but they just don't get our interest.

    I also love cemeteries. They are beautiful, tranquil places. It's awesome that the family cemetery has recently been beautified. So many cemeteries fall into ruin and are never restored.

    For some reason, your photos aren't showing up for me. Where the photo would be, there is a minus sign in a circle. I use Chrome. Not sure if that is the problem or not.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Embracing Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for thr feedback.. I hope I HAve it working now... God bless!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to tell you that your photos are not showing up. Your message did come through very clearly. I love to find out things about our family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for thr feedback.. I hope I HAve it working now... God bless!

      Delete
  4. what a lovely list of faves...but....for some reason your photos are not uploading. I see it is not just my laptop as others can't view them either! At any rate, it all sounds lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for thr feedback.. I hope I HAve it working now... God bless!

      Delete
  5. I can see your photos just fine. I can understand why that church would mean so much to you! Your reunion sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and photos worked for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a lot of interesting history. Amazing that you've been having reunions for so many years. That's a great photo at the end. :) Glad you didn't drop the babe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely history and legacy! It is amazing that you've had reunions every year for that length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in MD and VA earlier this month and yes, it is a beautiful area!
    And your history is so interesting--I too love researching my family history--knowing about our legacies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~