1. How did you welcome the month of July, and tell us one fun thing you did to celebrate the 4th. (or the weekend for any non-USA residents playing along today)
July just slipped right in without much fanfare... I would ahve to say low key is our attitude about summer... the weather has been uncooperative... either rainy or too hot and humid to enjoy the outdoors..
My main thoughts have been with my daughter's family as they are moving from a condo into their new home with their precious wee ones.
To stay relevant we here have been updating our home which always gives us a lift of spirit..the sales have aided us in making this possible... tomorrow we expect a lovely package from Amazon filled with items hubs has purchased off of my wishlist for my birthday coming up on Friday!
For the holiday our church choir has been practicing for several weeks on a wonderfully uplifting patriotic program..

Hubs and I both enjoyed singing in this so much... The church then provided a great' family '
picnic which had to be held inside because of the rain!
But it was great fun and as close to family as we had this year!
Our local fireworks were rained out this year, but the neighborhood certainly revelled more than usual which was rather nice.... otherwise... we called our daughter on the phone and enjoyed hearing how they celebrated in their new community.... For me the Fourth has always been a huge family affair... but now that we have no family living near us or living ... it seems like it is easier to just take the Fourth as it comes...
2. Right now...what's your favorite red thing? white thing? blue thing?
I had to think about the red... and then just as I took another bite of my lovely fruited yogurt /granola breakfast hubs makes for me each morning with my coffee I realized it had to be strawberries he cuts up in the mix.... yum! I love strawberries!!!
The white for now would be the cool very light cotton capris I bought specially to wear on Sunday... it seems I have to buy a new pair of white capris every year... I must be a messy person.. hehehe.This has been a very blue summer as that is the color we are using in the bedroom redo..Yesterday I created a beautiful silk arrangement..
Now I see that one last thing that needs to be accomplished until we hear that the shutters are ready for installation... my wedding portrait is hiding there waiting to be hung above that chair... the walls in that corner are too bare..Hubs, my dear painter, detests messing with his precious freshly painted walls!!!
3. Wave the white flag, raise a red flag, fly your freak flag...which 'flag' have you flown most recently? Explain.
Well, today it would probably be the red flag...daughter was so excited about the expansively nice architechural sandbox that was in the back yard of their new house... so yesterday she was planning a playday with some best friend's children and as she was getting it ready for the kids to perhaps play there, when she removed the cover.. there was a snake.... not a great welcome to their first day to play in the yard.. then I raised the red flag when I found this article and sent it to her... plus I have to say I was really hoping that snakes were a bit foreign to the NE states!
4. According to Cond Nast Traveler these are the seven best places to visit in July-
a boat safari in Botswanna's Okavango Delta, Riviera Maya mexico (it's whale shark season and apparently you can swim with them), Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, Pamploma Sapin, St. Petersburg Russia, the Fuji Rock Festival at Mount Naeba Japan, the Salzburg Festival in Salzburg Austria
If time and money weren't factors would you want to see any/all of these? Which would you most like to see and why?
For us it would definitely be Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons...
5. Grilled cheese, pimento cheese, or mac and cheese...your favorite from the cheesy treats listed?
I love grilled cheese sandwiches, especially made in a George Foreman grill... that with a nice bowl of tomato soup... at least that is how mama made them..
6. What makes you sweat?
Well, at first I was going to say, I hate to sweat so I rarely exert myself to sweat... hehehe, I rather glow... but then after perusing Joyce's answers that kind of sweating is a bit different...I would sweat math exams in high school, I never had a great grasp of algebra..just average in that subject. I sweat the anticipating of going across really scary bridges.. like the ones across the Hudson on our way north...
This bridge is old, very narrow lanes that are always in bad repair, and there is absolutely no shoulder ... just narrow lanes ...and it is rather long!
I'm so glad the old bridge in Charleston SC. has been replaced..
7. Your favorite movie with a 'patriotic' theme of some sort?
As grisly was it was , yet, the Revolutionary War was a war of great sacrifce and loss.. the The Patriot is a great favorite...Historian that I am I get more tingly about more historical films... like the part where Mel picked up the flag waving it to rally the troops to victory!
Hubs would always pick more modern films like Saving Private Ryan,, Band of Brothers, and the Longest Day... I just dont get tingly with those!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.

One of my very favorite patriots was my granddad... Born in 1895 in rural Sw Virginia to dairy farmers he rushed to fight in WWI at a tender age in France... a rare adventure for a young country boy. After the war he returned home, built a beautiful farm house with his bare hands and the tools his father taught him to use.. and proposed to his neighbor Pauline who was 9 years his junior when he was 26. Together they grew his dairy farm and raised 6 daughters.. They knew through faith, hard work, and perseverance their dreams could become fruition.He was a great historian, debater, and a very wise man who loved God, country and family! He drew his huge family around him every Fourth to celebrate and enjoy the fruits of his labor... I remember, well, the delectable fried chicken, fresh picked corn on the cob, tomatoes, pickles, and other delcious offerings on the huige laden table... Grandma always made his and everyone's favorite Chocolate sheet cake... with homemade ice cream.. Those were the celebrations I love to savor in memory...

One of my very favorite patriots was my granddad... Born in 1895 in rural Sw Virginia to dairy farmers he rushed to fight in WWI at a tender age in France... a rare adventure for a young country boy. After the war he returned home, built a beautiful farm house with his bare hands and the tools his father taught him to use.. and proposed to his neighbor Pauline who was 9 years his junior when he was 26. Together they grew his dairy farm and raised 6 daughters.. They knew through faith, hard work, and perseverance their dreams could become fruition.He was a great historian, debater, and a very wise man who loved God, country and family! He drew his huge family around him every Fourth to celebrate and enjoy the fruits of his labor... I remember, well, the delectable fried chicken, fresh picked corn on the cob, tomatoes, pickles, and other delcious offerings on the huige laden table... Grandma always made his and everyone's favorite Chocolate sheet cake... with homemade ice cream.. Those were the celebrations I love to savor in memory...

I took the first meaning of Sweating and then I read Joyce's post. Tax time always makes me sweat.
ReplyDeleteTax time would be a horror for if if Hubs didnt take care of it... alas, I am one of those whives who knows nothing about the business end of the home... " Lord.. take me first!!!!"
ReplyDeleteI always need new white capris at the start of summer too : ) In general I think summer clothes wear out faster because we're washing them more and are active in them. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteSo true and truly there is nothing worse than a tired drab worn out pair of white anything for summer. Crisp is the word! Heeeheee. Blessings!
Delete