Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hodge Podge Wednesday






Click icon to return to  Joyce's page!

1. I read here four creative activities to try this month. They were-calligraphy, make your own cookbook, dance or learn a new type of dance, and letter writing. Which activity on the list appeals to you most? Will you add it to your August? 

I think I  would enjoy  getting back into  personal letter writing...  I actually wrote a very special,  out of the ordinary handwritten thank you note last week  and  it  was  such a pleasure to  push myself in being  exceptional... as  email and  messaging  is just too cryptic and    it's like who cares if a word is misspelled as long as the idea is expressed... I love cursive writing  and    I know how  much a I love the antique letters I have  that my great, great grandfather wrote  back for the front lines of the Civil War.. they are rare treasures... not that my letters would be considered  rare or treasures either...  but it would mean a lot to me to think that someone down the line might keep a  letter I had written..  it challenges me to write  something  worthy of  keeping!!
2. Bertrand Russell is quoted as saying, 'To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.' Agree or disagree? Explain. 
I do agree very much...stuff  is  only really  stuff... do I like stuff..  well, sure... depending on what it is.. do I have  plenty of stuff...  yes,,but even  a tangible treasure's gift of  pleasure and  fulfillment is so very short lived... before long it  joins the   realm of just more stuff...  it is the intangible that is the true treasure... that brings  more lasting  joy... and  the most  precious of all is  the gift of  God in our lives  which is eternal!

3. August 17th is National Thriftshop Day...are you a 'thrifter'? If so, tell us about one of your best or favorite finds. 
I wrote about this on Monday.. how much I enjoy  perusing  the consignment shops....  I have  transfer ware radar...I am always on the prowl for blue, red,  black and now a bit of green   transfer ware...  Can I live without it...  surely...  but when I find a lone piece  at a great  price  that  will compliment  what I already have  I  say to myself, ' Now that was a great find!"  This last week it was the   Royal Wessex salad plate I found for  3 dollars  that  is almost a perfect  match with my  set of 4 Wedgewood  Countryside  dinner plates...  

I saw  the dinner plates on Replacements  for $99  for 4... I paid $20 for mine...
4. On a scale of 1-10 (with 1= almost none and 10=loads) how would you rate your sense of wanderlust? What kicks your wanderlust into high gear? 

I would say that even t this stage of life  I still have the yen to travel..  but I am very particular about it..




I  am such a huge anglophile  the top of my bucket list is  Britain..  mainly the north... Yorkshire and   Northumberland areas...  then  second would be Scotland...  especially the highlands... and more remote areas...  third  I would love to return to Ireland.. especially Northern Ireland..  and more especially, Donegal...  and  a dip down to Galway area.
In the last several years since our daughter married  most all of our trips have been north to see  them  in Massachusetts.. so I have worked in seeing much of New England...   which has been marvelous... but at the same time we have neglected  the south... in fact I haven't been to  the beach in SC  in 10 years...now that is  criminal....  but I am working on it!!  Getting hubs to just  jump in the car and go somewhere on the fly  doesn't work even though we are both retired... for example my favorite Celtic performer Dougie Mac Lean is touring  the US and is preforming tomorrow evening at Asheville...about 6 hours from here...I have begged to go..  to no avail...  Of course, the title Caledonia  refers to his homeland, Scotland!



5. Has life felt more like a marathon or sprint so far this month? How so?
Well, it is sort of just  stalling out for me....for one thing I have not been tip top...  allergies and a cold...  have taken their toll..  but the   humid dog days of August are dragging!

6. What do you need to get a jump on before fall officially arrives?  Well, I am looking at it  lying here near my feet...  A  craft box of new fabric I purchased last week    and patterns  to make  some gifts for    Christmas for my girls...  and Christmas comes a month early for us this year!!. Yikes!!!

7. What's the last thing you did with friends or family where you lost track of time? I suppose I would say  it was this morning  during Face Time with our girls...  we hadn't had  a  good  long time  in a few weeks..  it had been catch as catch can lately and I hadn't seen  Birdie age 3 at all.. she was always napping...  I was missing her so much... and  this morning  over her breakfast we   wiled away a  lovely hour....  that  went by much too fast and  suddenly it was over..as the baby was falling asleep in mama's arms...  Poor Birdie was  sad to leave as well...   visits with  those girls are always over  way too fast...  whether it is an hour or a week visit...  if only one could capture time and put it in a bottle to take it out and savor as  need be!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
I am so blessed by my prayer Sista's..  with whom  I get together every couple of weeks to  share and  pray  about  important issues in our lives and the nation, and world.... it  is a source  for  accountability in our lives  which is missing so much in our culture today...

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am a fellow Hodgepodger visiting those sites the are adjacent to my site on this week's Hodgepodge list of links. I enjoyed reading your answers. I whole heartedly agree with the preciousness of a close relationship with God. (Question #2) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Schotzy, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment this is how I found yours! It took me a while to pay a return visit though, but heh, I am here now ;-)!
    You have a very unique stile of writing, which I really like!
    The Royal Wessex salad plate for three dollars is really a great find. It makes me want to go out and check out my local thrift stores, maybe I get lucky, too. Making the time to go there is my issue, so lately I have preferred to check out ebay in the evenings. I encountered some pieces that I loved, even though they were not steals price-wise, but I am still happy with my "auction wins".
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~