Thursday, August 11, 2016

A Country Memory


As September approaches I begin thinking of apples...

I am sure it is the teacher in me....  as I  planned my back to school bulletin board which many times included Johnny Appleseed..   actually John Chapman,born September 26th, 1774 in Leominster, Massachusetts..

Then I begin thinking of Grandma's apple cake...  yum... and  thus begins the search for her recipe...
(pinterest)
Now this is the actual recipe!
 Grandma's Apple Sauce Cake
2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cuos  warm apple sauce
3 tsp. baking soda
4 cups all purpose flour
1 lb. raisins
1 cup chopped nuts pecans  or walnuts
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Cream together the butter and brown sugar,  Warm the apple sauce, but not too hot,  and add the baking soda to dissolve.  Add in to the butter mixture.  In another bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.  Add 1/3 of the dry mix to the butter/apple sauce mixture at a time, stirring well after each addition.  Stir in the nuts and raisins.  (  I like to  soak the raisins a bit  to plump them...) Bake in a 9x13 sheet pan  in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
You can find out more about apples here!

Pick the Perfect Apple

With all this talk of apples I am reminded to  call and get myname on the  list for  the   homemade apple butter that is made by several country churches around the valley...  and  unless your name is on the list you are just out of luck!!!
Image result for churches making  homemade apple butter old fashioned way
 So, of course,   as I sat at computer this morning over my coffee
  I   suddenly knew it was time to  arrange the  sunroom using an apple theme..  I love to create  new  thematics...  I tell you, I was always re-arranging my classroom around themes...  it's in my blood!  heheheh!
 When I think apples I always think   picnics in autumn  so the red checked cloth  was  taken from the closet.
 I  was thinking  late summer wild flowers   on long stems  so they looked like they were growing along side the road going up to grandma's farm.  I  absolutely love the vase I found yesterday at my favorite  consignment shop for 5 dollars...and since I found it  in a friend's stall I had to  bring it home!!! With its tall neck it suited my idea to a tee!
 Of course, I love using my momma's apple dishes... She never used them except on Thanksgiving.... I say..  use them... carefully... and enjoy the memories they evoke!!!
I wasn't too careful placing the flowers...  I wanted them to have that wild roadside  look  that I  love...  That is  one of the main things I miss about  life now..  Goodness, back in the day when  the grands and  aunts and uncles  lived up on  Peaks Mountain Road  it  was if the whole world was ours  and  we  reigned over the fields and  splashed in the branches...   and the roadsides were  ours to plunder...

 but, now  all the land has changed hands and   I can barely   stand to travel  the wayside,  things have changed so much...
  So I create  a memory.....
 Our sunroom is  the gathering room of our home...   where  friends and family are  welcomed and  invited in to  wile away the hours!
 So Iit is always my preasure to  try ot keep it looking  as welcoming and  lovingly cozy as  I can!!
HAHAHA... now that platter is speaking to me.... how about some fried chicken??? 


To say farewll. I'll share this verse I just came across.

"What wondrous life is this I lead!
Ripe apples drop about my head;
The luscious clusters of the vine
Upon my mouth do crush their wine;
The nectarine and curious peach
Into my hands themselves do reach;
Stumbling on melons, as I pass,
Ensnared with flowers, I fall on grass."

- Andrew Marvell, Thoughts in a Garden

Sounds like me... about 40 years ago!

Tablescape Thursday

Thursday Favorite Things

Home and Garden Thursday

Grace  Home

Home Sweet Home

4 comments:

  1. Man, this gets me in the mood for fall! I love fall and all the things that come along with it. I'm your neighbor at Favorite Things Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That apple china is wonderful. Reminds me of my mother's Franciscan Ivy, of which I have a very few pieces. Yes, use and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your apple dishes and table. The flowers were a perfect thought too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks like a keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~