
It's Late
Hosted by Samantha!
Welcome to Saturday: 9.
It's Late (1959)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
1) Ricky Nelson laments that he should have been home hours ago. When is the last time you stayed up later than you should have? What were you doing? Most often when we visit our daughter,son in law, and the girls, we play all day, put the kids to bed and then sit up until the wee hours visiting, catching up, so much to share and talk about when you only see each other 3 or 4 times a year. Bad thing is the girls are up at dawn running into our room to climb in bed with us... which we love, but mercy me! Yeah, we burn the candle at both ends. Happily!
2) Compounding Ricky's problem is that he's nearly out of gas. How is your gas tank right now? When did you most recently fill 'er up?
I have no idea how the gas is.. well, Hubs keeps the truck gas tank filled, but the car probably needs a fill up! I cannot remember the last time for the car !😲
You see we save the car for church and trips only... Savng the mileage and wear and tear.
You see we save the car for church and trips only... Savng the mileage and wear and tear.
3) It gets worse! He can't call home because he doesn't have a dime for the pay phone. Have you recently been in a situation where you've been glad you had your cell phone handy? This week as I was leaving the dermatologist's office I realized she never gave me a prescription for the med w e discussed, so I was glad to be able to call her office very soon after I had left to tell the receptionist to please inquire about it and have it called into to my pharmacy!
4) The video for this song is from an episode of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Ozzie Nelson, Ricky's father, was in charge of the show and made the rules.

One was that no one was allowed to smoke on the set ... except his wife, Harriet. Do you smoke? Have you ever lived with a smoker?
One was that no one was allowed to smoke on the set ... except his wife, Harriet. Do you smoke? Have you ever lived with a smoker?
Yes, I started smoking in college and smoked for about 7 years... my allergies got the best of me...thankfully! My hubs smoked previously to me in high school and smoked about 12 years after we were married... I made him smoke outside , not in the house..
5) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. According to Tiger Beat, today's teen idols include Johnny Orlando and Ruby Jay. Johnny was born in 2003, Ruby in 2004. Sam admits that before today, she had no idea who these young people are. How about you?
Johnny who!?! Ruby Wha...???
6) While Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan have posthumously praised Ricky Nelson's music, 1950smusic critics dismissed him as a lightweight. What's the last review you read? Was it written by a professional critic, or was it contributed by a consumer to a site like Amazon or Yelp?
All I can think of is that I am a reviewer for Tripadvisor..I review venues that I can hail with 5 stars or those that flub!
All I can think of is that I am a reviewer for Tripadvisor..I review venues that I can hail with 5 stars or those that flub!
7) At the height of his popularity, Ricky tried his hand at movies, appearing in the western Rio Bravo with John Wayne. He turned 18 during the filming, and Wayne celebrated by playfully throwing Ricky into a sack of horse manure. Do you think pranks and practical jokes are funny?
Not really.. I do not like to have them played on me and I don't do them to others.
8) In 1959, when this song was popular, the St. Lawrence Seaway was completed. It connects Canada to our Great Lakes. Without looking it up, can you name all 5 Great Lakes?
Superior, Huron, Erie, Michigan, jeepers ..
you got me
you got me
9) Random question – You drive past a local motel and see the car of a very married friend right there in the lot. Would you ask her about it?
I don't think so.. I would probably think she was there with her hubby for a special evening! It really isn't any of my business though and to tell the truth I wouldn't even notice to begin with.


We are both distant grandmothers. We are preparing to make the 3 times yearly trip up north to visit our son and his family tomorrow. His youngest daughter will be graduating from high school so we don't have any little ones running to get in bed with us any more. They grow up so quickly, so enjoy every opportunity to visit. Why didn't I remember at least Lakes Superior and Huron? Fun post today and I enjoyed reading your answers.
ReplyDeleteI forgot about Tripadvisor. I ALWAYS check that before I book travel. I think it would be crazy not to.
ReplyDelete(Lake Ontario)
Oh yes! I check tripadvisor also. I did one review for them.
ReplyDeleteMy docor's rarely hand me a prescription anymore, they are faxed straight to the pharmacy and are ready for me to pick up when I get there. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I don't think any of us have a clue who those two teen idols are. If they are so big right now you'd think we'd have at least heard their names in passing. Are they singers? Actors? YouTube stars? I feel old. LOL
ReplyDeleteYou feel old!?! I really am old facing a biggy(70)in another year! Yikes,, but at least with a younger daughter than most friends my age, I thought I was pretty cool.. My dream is dashed to pieces!!
DeleteI'm glad you have the grandkids to keep you young at heart.
ReplyDeleteThanks, they absolutely do that, but they also wear me out!!! I try to keep up with them!!!
DeleteOur grandkids are all grown,
ReplyDeletebut we do have great-grandkids
that we see now and then when
they come to the town we live in.