Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Wednesday Medley




Hosted by Terri!
There are some pretty serious issues on the National Day Calendar this week.
Let's take on a few of them!! The titles are linked back to The National Calendar.

NATIONAL MAKING LIFE BEAUTIFUL DAY
National Making Life Beautiful Day is observed annually on June 11. It is a day dedicated to encouraging and celebrating men and women who are making life beautiful. Whether you’re creating beauty through building relationships or helping others achieve personal success, one small action can lead to a ripple effect, making life beautiful not just for yourself, but for those around you, too.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Help someone you know to achieve a personal goal, donate time to a worthy cause, help someone less fortunate or just do something nice for someone. On social media, use #MakingLifeBeautifulDay
1. Tell us about a time you made someone's life beautiful or someone made YOUR life beautiful.
Hubs and I have worked with Bibles for the World  for about 10 years.Over that time we have sponsored three children in India
 to be able to attend school and  have a better life.. 


 At this time we sponsor a precious boy,  John, whom we have helped for  several years and he  sends us the dearest letters of appreciation for  how  he and his family  have been blessed!! But his sweet letters    are huge blessings to us!!!

NATIONAL SMILE POWER DAY
June 15th is the day we observe National Smile Power Day. This is a day for everyone to share the power of the smile.
From the good morning greeting and the first “How may I help you?” present yourself with a smile. No matter where you are employed, job seeking, retired or looking for new horizons starting the day with a smile is certainly more empowering than a pout or grump. Starting with a smile first is easier than trying to get there later in the day.
When you smile at someone, you are telling them that they are valued and worth the smile that you just gave them. Smiles are moral boosters and confidence builders.
Research has proven that smiling really does increase attractiveness and likability between humans. Smiling creates a greater trust and increased interpersonal cooperation. Smiling at someone can help them to relax and relieve their stress while at the same time, it will make you feel right. Smiling (even if you do not feel like it) will lift your mood and can make you a happier person.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Challenge yourself to smile more often today. Use a smile to disarm a tense situation, or simply smile during your daily tasks. Use #SmilePowerDay on social media.
2. Will you take on the challenge and smile more often on June 15th? Why not start now!! Have you been blessed by a smile that changed your day? I always love to give smiles  but I do not stop there..  Especially with  the older  folks in our church, I, also,  give them  a touch..for some older  ladies  who live alone, I actually  give them a   semi  back rub, for Theresa,  I sometimes give her a good scratch...I think a friend's touch is very important!!  When people  go to the trouble to actually see me and smile  it  does make a huge difference in  my day... Too often people  react  indifferently these days!!  Social media  has deadened people to the need for face to face communication!


NATIONAL RANDOM ACTS OF LIGHT DAY
“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” ~ Edith Wharton
Sometimes it takes just one gentle word or small token to help overcome darkness. On June 13, National Random Acts of Light Day encourages us to bring light to the darkness of cancer by surprising someone with an act of kindness.
Receiving the diagnosis of cancer is one of the darkest moments a person can have. As part of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walks fundraising campaign, National Random Acts of Light brings awareness to the importance of providing cures and access to treatments for blood cancer patients.
Take a friend fishing or bring them their favorite cup of coffee. Sometimes a visit, a walk or a fresh bouquet of flowers is what brings the light into the room. Surprise someone you love, by bringing a sparkle to their day.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Share your Random Acts of Light on June 13, and throughout the year! Learn more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s National Random Acts of Light Day, Light the Night Walks and other campaigns and follow them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Use #RandomActsofLightDay to share on social media.
HISTORY
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ®(LLS) founded National Random Acts of Light Day to bring shine a light on the need for research and a cure for blood cancers. In 2017, celebrities and local heroes surprised people affected by blood cancers as part of Random Acts of Light.
About The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® (LLS) is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world, provides free information and support services, and is the voice for all blood cancer patients seeking access to quality, affordable, coordinated care.
The Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed National Random Acts of Light Day to be observed annually beginning in 2017.
3. Terri is a cancer survivor. Cancer has touched most of us in one way or another. When did someone reach out to you with an act of kindness or when did you last perform a random act of kindness for someone?  To be honest  all of the years I taught school,  I sort of lost sight of the needs around me, I was so engrossed in my own needs  for my students. Then soon after I retired I was  diagnosed with a large uterine tumor, It required that I have a mainline hysterectomy which  was daunting for me.. I was so horrified I wouldn't  heal through  that  large  belly I had... I had heard of a horror story from my  uncle who was a doctor...  anyway, Praise God the tumor was benign and  after I heard a teaching on TV on my first day of convalescing  on Colossians 1:17, "
He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."  I  was  completely  at my ease!  But that first day folks from our Sunday School class started bringing us food..  I had never  been such a recipient of such love and generosity before...Not only the food but the  dear visits  meant so much to us!  Ever since I make it my business to do the same whenever I can.. And the thing is, the visit when we take the food is  a blessing to  both parties!!   

NATIONAL LOVING DAY
National Loving Day is observed each year on June 12. National Loving Day is an annual celebration that commemorates the anniversary of the 1967 United States Supreme Court decision Loving vs. Virginia. This decision struck down all anti-miscegenation laws remaining in sixteen U.S. states citing “There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the equal protection clause.” Anti-miscegenation laws in the United States were U.S. state laws banning interracial marriage.
Childhood friends, Mildred and Richard, met when she was 11, and he was 17. Over the years they began courting and in 1958 when she turned 18, they married in Washington. They returned to their hometown north of Richmond and two weeks later, not realizing that interracial marriage was illegal, they were arrested. Mildred and Richard Loving pleaded guilty and to avoid jail time; they agreed to leave Virginia.
The Loving’s moved to Washington D.C. and started legal action writing to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy. Kennedy referred the case on to the American Civil Liberties Union. The Warren Court unanimously ruled in their favor, and the Loving’s returned to their Virginia home where they resided with their three children.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Use #NationalLovingDay to post on social media.
HISTORY
National Loving Day is not yet an officially recognized holiday by the U.S. government. However, there is a movement to persuade the government to do so. This day was inspired by Juneteenth and seeks both to commemorate and celebrate the Supreme Courts 1967 ruling, keeping its importance fresh in the minds of a generation which has grown up with interracial relationships being legal as well as explore issues facing couples currently in interracial relationships.
4. Terri admits that this turned out to be not what she thought it would be. Our country has come a long way in recognizing that people are people and our differences are what makes life beautiful, but we still have a long way to go, unfortunately. Your thoughts? Ever since we adopted Amanda from South Korea, our thoughts have  changed... People are people.. I tell you when I stared into the face of our beloved  baby, I only saw our baby, I never saw her foreignness..  God created her for us.. in a land far away. But He knew we would be her parents before  the creation of the world.. As she grew, we wondered  whom would she date, marry? Her race was never an issue.She had many friends and dating wasn't an issue,  she had many   guy friends and one  asked her to the  sophomore Homecoming dance...  but that same day someone else came into her life... She met Joshua at age 15, almost 16,he was her  substitute violin teacher   when the regular teacher did  playing tours.. He was  17-18 at the time and he came over to ask us  if he could date Amanda  on the afternoon of the Homecoming Dance..  In fact, he was still there when her date arrived..I think he wanted to check him out...
and  once they started dating  it was a done deal.. He was a son of an American missionary who served in Taiwan,so he was half American and half Chinese...Now when I see mixed marriages all I see are two people  who love each other...  I remember going to see Guess Who's Coming to Dinner  in the later 60's with my  boyfriend, (Hubs) and thinking  what would I do if that happened...  now I know I'd be happy that God had brought them together.. 

   NATIONAL KITCHEN KLUTZES OF AMERICA DAY
Each June 13 honors those who would like to cook and be in the kitchen, but it just doesn’t seem to work well for them. After all, it is National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day.
Klutz: most commonly referred to as a clumsy person.
These are the people who set out with the intentions of Paula Dean or Julia Child as the open up the cookbook. Setting out the mixing bowl and ingredients, they imagine knife cuts as swift as Wolfgang Puck or Bobby Flay. However, reality quickly dissolves all those dreams as smoke billows from the oven and salt is mistaken for sugar. Those knife cuts become bloody, and cookies and fingers are burnt. The Kitchen Klutz has struck, and visions of spilled milk are pitifully cried over.
It may be necessary to keep a first aid kit and fire extinguisher handy when Kitchen Klutzes are around. Be ready to call 911 and your favorite take out if you’re still hungry.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Use #NationalKitchenKlutzes to post on social media.
5. Had to lighten it up a bit. Terri is a total klutz in the kitchen. Tell us about something klutzy that happened in your kitchen... by you or another! Can you laugh about it now? I was making  a special cookie recipe to take to  someone  and I was so happy it was all coming together so well,  so I  tasted the dough as I was rolling it out.. and,bleh, it tasted horrible... I  checked what had I done, and realized I had added  fiber powder we keep in a glass jar beside the sugar. So what had  gone together so quickly and  well, suddenly had to be cleaned up  and started again.. taking over twice as long!  But I did learn an important lesson..  Label the glass jars! 
6. Share something about your week so far, if you would.This is the second week of the month so that means  we will be hosting SOS prayer in our home on Thursday. Yesterday I spent listening to YouTube videos  picking praise and worship songs  to  create  a JuneSOS2019 play list.  On Thursday we will begin with this  wonderful worship song...  I think it will be fun to  let the men and women sing their parts.

    

12 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda is so beautiful! What a gorgeous bride! I am sure she is a blessing beyond measure to you. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words especially about Amanda.. she does have the brightest smile, it cost plenty! But seriously, her vibrant personality always lights up the room when she enters... She will always be the apple of our eye!

      Delete
  2. your daughter is gorgeous. she looks radiant in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you, radiant is a really good word for her... always has let her light shine!!! Because she loves the Lord, mainly!

      Delete
  3. Your daughter is a beauty! Having just begun taking fiber powder, I laughed extra hard at your 'uh-oh'!
    Thank you for your mention of physical touch while at church. Some years ago when I was single, I began attending a church that addressed this very thing. Our pastor commented that some people are so bereft, (that) the sensation of another's touch often brings them to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love the story of your daughter. What a precious thing! She is a gorgeous bride. So funny about the fiber powder!! You are so right about the touch being so important, especially for the older people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nonnie, thank you for the sweet remarks,,, since she in not bone of my bone I can brag about her,too.. She is exceptional... You know I realized this about touch with my poor mother as she needed to be touched so much...I would just lightly rub her arms and legs. while she seemed to be languishing in the nursing home.. she had end of life arthritis and was in huge and continuous pain, there was no way I could take care of her... just to move her in the bed or change her, took three people to move her without her arms or legs coming out of the joint.. So sad... but a light rub of her legs seemed to help her and relieve her. At that time Amanda was a high schooler and I was coming home from work and my legs and feet ached so badly.. I would ask her to just rub my feet a bit and there was something so therapeutic about those youthful hands reviving me! I sure could use taht right now as a matter of fact!!! But every time I go to church and hug my dear older friends I pet their back and ask them would they like a bit of a back rub and they always tell me, 'YES, please!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your answer to #4! And I agree that a touch from a friend or someone who truly cares is so important. I know too many people who can't stand to be touched, can't stand to be hugged, and can't stand to have anyone too close. Something's wrong there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful couple Amanda and Joshua are! Seeing someone as less or more because of the amount of pigment in their skin is the most ridiculous thinking to me. Fiber in the cookies, huh? That probably wouldn't have been the best cookie, but not sure it would have been worse than my mom's made with wheat flour, egg substitute, sugar substitute, and carob chips. The dog wouldn't even eat those! LOL Thanks for sharing your beautiful, encouraging answers. Blessings on the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda and Joshua are a beautiful couple, Schotzy! This is such a most heartwarming post, you and your Dh are such an inspiration! I have always enjoyed listening to the Maranatha worship music, thank you for sharing, hope you are having a great week.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely bride and groom!! Thanks for joining the Medley and I'm sorry it is taking me so long to visit everyone who participated! I really enjoyed your answers and especially love how you relate to the older folks in your church. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post; thank you! The Medley was quite the challenge this week but you rose to the occasion well!

    Your daughter is beautiful. What a lovely bride!

    Your cookie story reminded me of the time company stopped by; I had an hour or so notice so I baked some muffins as a snack for them. I was being exceptionally virtuous (diet wise) that day and so I never even tasted the batter. The muffins looked a bit odd -- didn't rise as much as they should have -- but I served them anyway and again did not taste one. Later when my hubby came home, he ate a muffin and asked what was wrong with it. I did taste one then and found out the awful truth: I had left out the sugar!

    And thinking about older folks needing a loving touch -- one elderly widow at church would often tell my hubby that she needed a hug. The first time my hubby hugged her, she got teary and said that she so missed her husband's hugs. From that point on he made a point of hugging her each Sunday, and when another lady was widowed he began doing the same. One of those ladies is in heaven now with her husband, and the other moved to be near her family, but it was such a blessing to them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~ I am so happy to have my return comments to you restored!

Farewell

 After  17 years of   blogging  I am  pretty sad to  just fade  out  with  hardly  anyone showing any   farewell,  concern  about my  surger...