Saturday, June 8, 2019

Saturday 9



Saturday 9: I'm Moving On (1965)
Hosted by Samantha!
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Chyvonne Scott sings that she's sick of her lover's "conniving." Tell us about a time you felt deceived. (It doesn't have to involve romance.)  I truly cannot think of a single thing..  I suppose that is a good thing..  I mean  I've been hurt,  but not viciously so!

2) She realizes it's time to move on to another love. What's your favorite love song? Is it about a relationship that's running smoothly? Or is it like "I'm Moving On," about an unhappy love affair?

This is probably the most meaningful love song to me...I started dating my husband in 1967, our senior year of high school... We went to colleges  sort of near each other..  He would  come by the college to pick me up to take me home on many weekends. But he was going to a two year college; when the draft  came in  his number was low, so he enlisted for 3 years. Thankfully, he  served in Germany. His mother passed in the summer of 1971.  He came home on leave  and before he went back we were engaged..  We planned to marry the week following my college graduation that next March.But we were separated that Christmas of 1971 and  I  had a single  college room..  I loved having no roommate,  could just concentrate on  finishing well and  graduating early.  That Christmas this song   came out...  OH, my goodness I would lie in my bed and cry as I sang it...  and they played it  on campus a lot!  I stop whatever I am doing ever since every time it plays  I just sing with all my heart!

3) Though Chyvonne Scott enjoyed only limited success as a recording artist, she was very popular in New York clubs. When did you most recently listen to music performed live?   At church..  glorious music!

4) In 2017, this song appeared on a Samsung commercial that poked fun at rival iPhone. Is your cell phone an Apple or Android? How did you choose your phone? I finally got an IPhone this spring..  I had had android  previously.  And really wanted an apple so once hubs got one  for himself, I  picked out mine  the next month. I always had a leather portfolio to keep my android in,  but  to me it was  sort of a nuisance,  and I really wanted  a beautiful white phone this time with a clear case with   raised cherry blossoms on it..  I love my new phone!

iphone6s-rsgld-front

5) Chyvonne is an unusual name. In 1965, when this song was first released, the most popular baby names in the US were Michael and Lisa. Do you have any Michaels or Lisas in your life?
NO,  and by the way,  I do believe   CHYVonne is an Americanized version of the Irish  "Siobhan" pronounced the same.  I do have unusual names in my family.. Our grands are named  Leila, and Vivienne.

6) Also in 1965, Winston Churchill died. In researching this week's Sat. 9, Sam discovered a Churchill quote that's new to her: "I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." Share something interesting that you recently learned.
This week at Bible Study our pastor taught   a parallel passage to go along with  the one he taught on Sunday..  Sunday  he preached on chapter 12  of the Revelation  where  there was war in heaven and satan and his minions were thrown out of the second heaven for ever, never to have access to  the heaven again.    This incensed satan so much that he pursued the Jews    desiring to kill them all, but God  fought for them and provided a means of escape into the wilderness,    where he protected them for a time!You might realize that even now satan has access to heaven as he   enters the throne room to accuse the brethren just as he did to Job.  Praise God, our advocate, Jesus Christ is there interceding for us!  But this new thing that was taught Wednesday night showed that the   many parallels  from Exodus 14 when God   fought for their deliverance  at the parting of the sea! Very interesting study!  Both passages involve water    that could have annihilated the Jews, but  showed how God provided their escape!


7) In 1965, one of the most successful movies ever made,The Sound of Music, was released. Have you ever seen it?
Oh, how many times...   I  absolutely love it... I had the soundtrack and   I played it so much I could sing the whole thing through.. I loved to sing it  as I drove around  town!   Back then I had a strong soprano voice! MY favorite to sing:

8) Lava lamps were already popular in England and Brussels, but in 1965 they were introduced in the US. Do you think lava lamps are cool? 
 I suppose I did  once upon a time...not so much now!  

9) Random question -- You have to buy something very personal that you find embarrassing. Would you rather pay cash for it, so your identity would be unknown but you'd have to face the cashier? Or order it online, where you could avoid looking anyone in the eye, but you have to share your name and address? I would go ahead and buy it. I mean if I need it, others probably do, too!

10 comments:

  1. We have the same favorite song from Sound of Music! It was not in the stage play. It was added because the screenwriter thought the Maria character (especially as played by Julie Andrews) needed a song to help her transition from convent to outside world. It became so popular (with people like us!) that now subsequent Broadway productions routinely include it.

    And speaking of songs ... your Karen Carpenter Christmas story is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about the Siobhan name! I had a friend with that name several years ago and I was surprised to learn is was pronounced "Chyvonne"...kind of neat". Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jsust finished reading the Irish Village Murder mystery series by Carlene O'Connor and Siobhan was the main character.. Great light reading as well!

      Delete
  3. I have a friend in Ireland named Siobhan. Her sister is Niamh (Neeve)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a friend in Ireland. I would visit her every year!!! My favorite place on earth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Carpenters. Such a shame her life ended like it did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. We had Close to you and We’ve Only Just Begun sung at our wedding. Loved them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this so much, I love the Carpenters music, and the sound of Music is a favorite of mine too! Looks like you are having a great Bible study! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Christmas song for sure :)
    Yes, as we get older nothing much embarrasses us anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bittersweet memory and song! I love how just hearing a song can take us right back to a specific place and time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~ I am so happy to have my return comments to you restored!

Farewell

 After  17 years of   blogging  I am  pretty sad to  just fade  out  with  hardly  anyone showing any   farewell,  concern  about my  surger...