Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday Podge Podge




1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing...have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon? How so?

Oh, I love everything that is autumnal... I long for the cooler days of fall so beginning in mid September, I am seeking each and every sign of its arrival! I love the harvest displays and I try to see how many my husband will let me buy to spruce up the front entry,..









This year I am also buying the smaller batches of gourds for the dining room table, kitchen, mantel, and kitchen... perhaps I do go overboard. But,







my main inspiration is Keene, NH. We were there 2 years ago just a week prior to the real festival where the Property Brothers actually hosted a town competition!



And then of course, it is all about the pie!


2. "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld
I was just speaking to a wonderful Bible scholar about this very thing yesterday, the church has power imputed to us through the Holy Spirit by speaking" in Jesus name"... ie..power to turn back storms, which I did last summer when I was driving a group of ladies to Leesburg, Va in the most horrific thunderstorm.. the traffic was horrid, the car lights blinding I wasnt exactly sure where I was going, so by my will I prayed to the Lord for help and I was reminded to speak to the storm... I did and the rain actually did part before me and I drove the rest of the way to my destination on dry pavement... When we arrived it closed in and continued raining... God is so good... By faith and realizing and acting on the inheritance that is the believer's who appropriates it, I believe there are other impossibilities made possible.. for IN Christ... all things are possible!

3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (click hereto see the list). Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower?
I love our beautiful dogwood blossom.... In spring there is nothing more beautiful than a drive along the Blue ridge parkway and seeing them blooming profusely in their natural habitat..


4. What have you lost interest in recently?

So many things.... This has been a season of life like none other.... to lose both parents one year right after the next... after taking care of them for some years... grief and then questionable health problems set me into a funk of depression, lack of desire to do many things,, even to blog for a while.... Things are much better now... but suddenly, for little provocation, I can cry and that lost feeling will come upon me.. thankfully, it doesnt linger.... I stepped down in many of leadership areas in church and am gradually getting reconnected... but there again, I believe God was calling me to just rest in Him during these past months....
5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician?

My mind is twirling with this one.. I love so many genres of music.. here is a fairly complete list!

6. S'mores-love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list?

I remember loving them as a child, but I agree with our host.... too messy... can't keep them off my nose.. nothing worse than a sticky nose tip.....especially, when youre' trying to look fairly decent at parties...Our neighbors have a fire pit and when they are out there I get a bit dreamy eyed... but campfires a re for groups... or when families come together... and it just isnt us these days.... Our kids live too far away, and it is way too much trouble for just the two of us!

7. Your favorite small town? Why?

I am a small town girl....all the way... in fact, as I have written on here since our Ireland trip, Id love to live out on the moors in the most remote place imaginable.... with just a tiny village over two or three ridges away!...I wouldnt mind being called that oddly strange older couple who live out on the grange and who hardly ever come into town.... My family hailed from a small community and the gossip flows like a mighty river... everyone knows everything about everybody.... which is alright if they are gossipping with the best of intentions and are ever ready to lend a helping hand...That was mostly how it was in the Coal Creek Community where my grandparents lived... now I live in the burbs of a medium sized city and I barely know my neighbors name.... I dont like that!

So if I lived in my favorite area of Ireland it would be the outskirts of the Fintown, NI.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Speaking of autumn decor and things... I happened into one of my favorite shops today.... Main Street Primitives. I really enjoyed perusing the displays.. very fallish but, this being October, much of it was Halloween... very nice Halloween, but now that is one holiday I have really lost interest in....


I just found these similar items online, many of the items in the shop were much more nostalgic I guess you could say.... growing up the fifties, Halloween was an important time for us kids.... and I really enjoyed making all of my daughters costumes in the 80's.. But she was always a Biblical character, or animal... something real.... I really have a dislike for the dark side of Halloween now.... and am so pleased my grandchildren will not get into all of that... love playing dress up and pretend... but I fear that Halloween has been given over to the dark side in our culture.... and for me and my family... we choose not to inhale of it! In other words, none of my pumpkins have faces.

2 comments:

  1. We're in an apt this year while we build, so only have a small aka tiny little deck. I am going to add a pot of mums and a couple of pumpkins though, because I am all about fall! I love the Dogwood too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your white pumpkin and decor on your steps! also, those gourds sure do make your new countertops look nice :-) yay!

    love you,
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~