While I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago I ran across this post at Susanne's Place and thought that is just what I need to jump start me into getting into some books on my shelf I bought or received recently.... so now that I am home I will re share the challenge and then share my books on my read list.
"Well, as I contemplate this new year.. I know that I have already stated that I wanted to spend less time on my cell phone and more time at the athletic center...but then, I, also, saw this challenge!!! I was visiting Susanne's Place and I really felt the need to join in on this challenge...
The time frame given is books purchased from June 2015 - December 2016. For this challenge, hosted by The Book Date, she wants us to choose one of the percentage goals from the list below that we want to accomplish reading out of the books purchased, list the books we purchase in a post and then cross them off as we read them. There will be a couple link up posts in the year, I believe, where we can share how we are progressing. You can read the full rules at her link.
So to begin we choose below what percent of books we commit to read, if I get 40-60% done I will feel that I was very successful!!!"
20% or less Money Sitting on the Shelf.
20 - 40% Making Inroads.
40 - 60 % Moderately Successful
60 - 80 % Maximising Returns
80 - 100% Mission Accomplished
So I pulled my new books together... they a re:
Saving Grace by C. John Miller
"Begin a Year of Grace-Filled Living Now! The gospel changes how we live each day. That s the premise of Saving Grace and the legacy of Jack Miller s ministry. Founder of Serge and the New Life Presbyterian network of churches, Miller believed that Christians need to hear the gospel by faith every day, and he preached what he believed. "
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
"Experience peace in the presence of the Savior who is closer than you can imagine.
This #1 bestselling 365-day devotional is written as if Jesus Himself is speaking directly to you—words of encouragement, comfort, and reassurance of His unending love."
Just for Fun
I'm in the middle of finishing a Christmas anthology of 4 festive Harlequin Holiday Romances
A Fine Romance
"A Fine Romance, Falling in Love with the English Countryside, part love story, part travel guide, is a hand-written and water colored personal travel journal of Susan's six-day transatlantic crossing on board the Queen Mary 2 and two-month ramble through the back roads of rural England."
Deep Spiritual Substance
Set Apart for God by Derek Prince
"Holiness is a priceless gift from God that most people never unwrap. What they miss!
Why does just hearing the word holiness make many of us uncomfortable?
- –We think holiness means restrictive rules and regulations.
- –We believe it is an outdated concept that doesn't fit in today's world.
- –We fear we could never live up to what holiness requires."
- The Battle Plan for Prayer inspired by film Warroom
- Kendrick Brothers
- "The Battle Plan for Prayer begins with prayer’s core purpose, its biblical design, and its impact throughout history. Readers will be guided scripturally through the fundamentals of how effective prayer works, inspired towards a closer, more intimate relationship with God, and shown how to develop specific prayer strategies for each area of life. Prayer can accomplish what a willing God can accomplish. It should be your first plan of attack in all of life’s battles, not your last resort. If you want to experience the joy of mightily answered prayer, then it’s time to engage with God at another level. "
- " Deliver Us from Evil is the captivating account of Don Basham's journey from disbelief in the existence of demons to acceptance of their reality. This is more than a good detective story and more than the triumphant testimonies of ordinary people released from evil spirits. It is a compendium of Bible teaching on warfare and evil spirits, as well as the biblical conditions for deliverance, how to pray for deliverance, and how to protect oneself against demonic invasion. Deliverance is more than freedom from evil; it is delivery into the freedom to love and serve the Lord."
- Binding and Loosing by K. Neill Foster
- "Although the subject is frequently referenced in Scripture, very little has been written about binding and loosing. In this ground-breaking volume, popularly written within an academic framework, Foster traces the history of the doctrine from the Old Testament to the Early Church Fathers, the Reformers and the past 150 years to the present. Thoroughly documented. Generously illustrated." Taken from kneillfoster.com
- IN summary, one might wonder about the heaviness of these last triad of books but I truly believe that prayer is our nation's and the church's and our family's only hope in the coming days and so I am focusing my main attention on becoming a prayer warrior this year... and I have already encountered opposition from the dark side.... as well as others with whom I meet to pray.... it is a common occurrence ....sickness.... circumstances,, troubles come at us and we must divert the arrows and darts as the minions of hell have much power to thwart one who commits to a warrior lifestyle in the Lord...and one must do due diligence to keep the weapons of our arsenal in tip top shape.. reading about other prayer warriors is a good place to begin... I say this because I pray that others who have taken the time to rad this may be challenged to join the battle with us... for it is actually the committed Christian life in action anyway, but the church has been lax in teaching how important it truly is.