Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge





1. Speaking of skating...when did you last 'skate on thin ice', 'skate over the details', 'encounter a cheapskate', or just plain skate?
Well, since I am not a skater... too  klutzy to ever  skate..(frowny face) I suppose I do sometimes 'skate over the details'  I realize this because as I think of  some conversations I've had recently,  the  person to whom I was  speaking  would ask me about  what on earth  I meant about about something and I  say,' Well, because...."  quite a bit....I suppose in conversation  I  sometimes  talk over the top of  what I'm thinking.... 

2. What would you say is the biggest problem of people your age?
I am keeping what Joyce has said  to bounce off of it:
"Staying on top of your health and finances. As you reach/enter retirement there are so many decisions to be made relating to your future which by the way, is no longer on the far off distant horizon. It's now. Also, I think I mentioned here last week that once you pass the 50-mile mark you no longer take your good health for granted. 

Or it could be that we talk too much about retirement planning and the fact that our health isn't what it used to be? You decide. "
At 65  on medicare now both parents gone... for a year now... I have had  lots of time to think about my life... I think about health and finances...  but  now that I have my second granddaughter.. I think a lot about  what of their life will I possible live to  share in... being a late bloomer.... we adopted Amanda  when I was 35..I think  wow if I live to 80  little Doodle Bug will be 15...  and that  sort of shakes me a bit,  esp since we live  almost 800 miles apart.
I have done what I think is a good amount of building our lies  apart from our  children,  but it is ingrained in me to  desire  to be  more involved in their lives at this age.

3. What's your favorite accessory? Is it something you wear every day, often, or only on special occasions?
I  agree with Joyce's  answer regarding   my wedding rings... which  mine are  gold  and at our 40th anniversary Lynn gave me  a second  solitaire  which looks lovely  together with the  band in the middle... but... since the mid 80's when I found out my  'color'  was  silver  I started  buying mostly  silver  other  jewelry..  at our 30 anniversary Lynn gave me the  most  gorgeous  platinum   sapphire ring surrounded with diamonds... much like    Princess Di's  but  not like the  $19.99  imitations that were so popular a few years ago.. so when I  wish to wear   my  Brighton jewelry which I  love,  I wear  the sapphire  as my wedding ring...


4. January 20th is National Cheese Lover's Day Are you a lover of cheese? What's your favorite dish made with cheese? Last thing you ate that contained some kind of cheese?
I am a great cheese lover..  I remember  on our bus tour of Holland we seemed to always be hungry everywhere we went... and when we  arrived at the Edam cheese factory  everyone was famished.. We stood around in masses around  our guide  and  salivated as he  talked about how they processed the cheese.  He  finally realized  our discomfiture  so he took  his  cheese slicer and started scaling off slivers of cheese and  tossing it up  into the air  toward us.at us.. I remember how we all dived for  our  piece like  some kind of caged animal that  had been fed in days.  HAHA I bought 2 rounds  thinking I could get it home with me... well,   we  lived in Germany at the time... but  our  suitcases had gotten so hot  on the bus we  ended up throwing it and  most of the things  in my  case away ... hahaha ...immature as we were back then.  But my favorite and quite easy cheese dish  follows:
I bake mine in a quiche dish.. 

                            Three-Cheese Walnut Spread
                                      three cheese walnut spread pampered chef com wouldn t use blue cheese
You can use light cream cheese 
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted 
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese 
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley 
Apple wedges, pear wedges or assorted crackers (optional) 
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts in a Baker. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly toasted. 
2. Meanwhile, in Bowl, microwave cream cheese on HIGH 1 minute or until softened. Add blue cheese, mozzarella cheese and black pepper; mix well. 
3. Remove baker from oven to Cooling Rack. Carefully pour walnuts into cheese mixture; mix well. Spoon cheese mixture back into baker, spreading evenly. 
4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted. Garnish with parsley. Place baker on serving platter; surround with apple or pear wedges or assorted crackers, if desired. Serve spread using Spreader. Yield: 16 servings 

Nutrients per serving: (2 tablespoons spread): Calories 90, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 1 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 115 mg, Fiber 0 g 
©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003 




5. What's something guaranteed to make you roll your eyes?

I agree  wholeheartedly with Joyce,  but unfortunately I do understand  where this trend originated and  frankly I find it repulsive and when I see  people who should know better  perpetuating this  trend  I am sickened!

6. Your favorite book series?
Well, I  am  a huge romantic,  and  once I read one of Lynn Kurland's  Scottish time travel  books,  I was hooked... I don't care for her  fanciful series,  but the    time travel series    are   sublime to me...  and  she   does not write  graphic  steamy  stories....  
Oh, goodie, a new book is out...
Stars in Your Eyes
7. Why did you choose your profession?
Well, since you ask, I will  say  that  in high school  I had a  double dream... I loved home EC and   and  was  in FHA since the 7th grade,  but  I dreamed of following in the ' family'  profession  to teach as well and so I also was in the  FTA  every year. When I enrolled in Radford College I  still didn't quite know  which.  I really longed to be  in interior design,  and   was  completely taken by the program  they  offered  there,  but  in the end,  I  chickened out... my confidence level at that time was such that I didn't think I had what it took   to work  for adults,  and I loved  being around children so much that I  opted for teaching. So I  entered the  K-7  program and never regretted it...  well until  the  SOL'S came around and  teachers lost every bit of autonomy they had  in  the Virginia school systems..  We were told exactly  what, how much, and when to teach every  objective....  As soon as  the state started micro-managing  the classrooms  scores and  quality in my opinion  started  to go down. And so  I  got my 30 years in and  retired at age 53.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
Even with the  world seemingly  running off the tracks of  civility and normality  around us  I am  devoting this year to  staying out of the fray as much as possible and instead spending  more time  in  exploits   with  my God and my savior, with my friends and  making new friends by    living  my testimony, maybe losing a few pounds  as I focus on things outside of myself, and enjoying life!  I told hubby talk radio shall not be played within my hearing this year.. so I may see very little of him.... Well, that is his choice!

3 comments:

  1. Your dip looks really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm going to try it. My hubs is a news junkie too, and I can only take it in small doses. I feel the same these days about social media. Too much and I become a grouchy curmudgeon. I do understand the mental age calculation with your grandchildren, and I don't have any yet. I think a grandparent's love is something that stays with us long after our grandparents are gone. I know that's true of mine. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent goals, mom! proud of you. now STICK WITH'EM! :-D

    love you,
    a

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~