Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge





Let's  join in  on  
here!
1. When was the last time you relocated? Did you move yourself or leave it to the professionals? Are you happy staying put or is there a move in your future? Best thing about moving to a new city or town? Least favorite and/or hardest thing about moving house?


Funny thing you should ask.... we have loved living in our current home since 1988... We raised our daughter here... this home is deeply rooted in my heart.... I love everything about it.. its cosiness, English country style.. intimate rooms, plenty of places to get off to one's self.... our daughter and boyfriend loved that about it... and we did, too.. they virtually did all their dating right here at home which was great... well, until college, but then on holidays they were here... Lynn and I both love our own space.... and we have it here....but I want to be on one level now.... the older I get the more I don't like the stairs....

When we move we always use professional services.. oh my,, that is the killer part... packing up ... we do that part... but moving it... no way could we!!!!

So this year we have really been thinking what do we need to do to this 1930's home to get it ready for resale.... tons of purging, mainly, but also we have spent the summer on kitchen re-no... the main level bath is next on the list.....
When it comes to where we would move.... to tell you the truth, I wouldnt mind relocating.... for one thing our real estate is very expensive here... when I watch HGTV I am amazed how much nicer homes we could afford in other areas... and our one and only daughter lives 12 hours away.... When I look at homes for sale I do look in areas 6 hours away. I wouldnt think of moving too close to them for sure enough then they'd up and move.... and yes, I do have great friends here, but it would be great to be a day's drive away from my family!

The hardest part in moving is getting the house ready.... I have a very specific decorating style.... I would definitely have to rent a storage bin to pile half the house into in order to remove my heavy handed style... and stuff that I find hard to part with...
2. When were you last 'moved to tears'? Explain.


Actually, it was yesterday.... now ever since mom passed last December tears are really pretty much on the verge... but yesterday on facebook I saw the wonderful musician, and conductor of the Viennese symphony Andre' Rieu, speak of a waltz that had been written 50 years ago.. but never performed because the composer, a young unestablished musician feared criticism... so instead of following his musical heart he turned to acting.... none other than Sir Anthony Hopkins....... here is the soulful waltz as performed in Vienna! I cried mostly throughout the whole piece.... I love it!

3. Do you have rules about eating in the car...any forbidden foods? What's the last thing you consumed in your car? Your go-to car snack when traveling long distance?

Well, I had written  a nice paragrpah  but just lost it so I will only   retrace and  say,  my favorite  car snack is pop corn...   sweet hubby used to buy me  cheese pop corn and a  organge drink  when we were dating..   I'll never forget how special that was!!!!!

4. Share a favorite song relating to cars and/or driving.

Well, over the years, I always loved driving to the Route 66 theme... it was just a perfect tempo and of course reminded me of one of my first time tv crushes... George Maharis! hehehehehe.. But now I never leave home without my Donal Lunny cetlic cd.. this youtube version of Cavan Potholes is a bit different but you get the idea...my version has the sweetest jazz bridge that blows me away;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2Icpb5WvE


but my favorite on this journey cd is april the 3rd...

below..




This song April the 3rd is awesome turned up with lots of volume and bass! Love!Love! Love!


5. What's your most frequently visited drive-thru...Starbucks? the bank? the pharmacy? some other window?

I got into the habit of stopping in at the Wendy's drive through and picking up two kids meals with frosties replacing the drink for my mom and her roommate in the nursing home.... Now Lynn and I sometimes stop in and get the junior burger and a frosty.... it's really great!

6. "He who hesitates is lost"...would you agree? When it comes to making decisions do you generally act quickly or do you more often than not fall into the 'lost' category?

Actually, our hostess said it better than I could I agree with every word she said so I am borrowing her answer! "Would I agree? Not always. Sometimes it's wise to hesitate and mull things over before diving in. Of course there is such a thing as too much hesitation, which is probably where I land too much of the time, but I'm a thinker and sometimes 'he who hesitates keeps from making a big blunder'. "

7. When was the last time you got lost? Was it stressful or an unexpected happy adventure?
Every time we get lost bad things happen... big time.... Once I was following a map trying to find a shortcut from a country road down which hubby had taken us to see one of his bridge sites.... and the map showed a little connecting road that would cut about 15 miles off the beaten path... but little did we know we would be really "off the beaten path..

the road started out a dirt road.... and turned into a tractor tract through a corn field but first we had already driven down a steep dirt road down a mountain that ended with the road actually dropping off about 6 inches down a cutoff.. onto the corn filed there was no going back at this point.. and the crazy thing was we had both our vehicles. Me in my sports car Mazda with our 1 year old and Lynn in his pickup behind me. so we drove across the corn field on the tractor track and on the other side of the filed we came to a stream .... to ford... but just on the other side of the stream was rt 8 the road we were trying to reach..

Image result for tractor track through a cornfield
Thankfully there were rocks to drive across but I couldn't do it.. Lynn drove my car across them did a steppin stone number back to his truck and we merrily drove up the hill and got on rt 8. I cant tell you the strange looks we got by the locals as we were turning off of that tractor track onto the highway! DUMB!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I suppose I will go ahead and recount the other time we got lost and really messed up.... Lynn is a lover of bridges having designed them for a living. for me... not so much.... When our daughter was 6 we were on vacation in Cape May which is on a middle island between the Wildwood adventurous vacation spot island and the other low key residential, quiet beachy island...we were visiting friends there.. and had been out and about all day form one island to the other.... a huge marsh connected all the islands and the main highway traveled inland around the marsh and it took about 45 minutes to get form where we were staying and Wildwood... the cool amusement park island...well,,,,, when we were leaving the residential beach area that morning I had seen a sign pointing down a road to Wildwood .. just a quiet nice road... with a nice sign with directions and I remembered it.. later that dusk, we were on Wildwoood and I saw the sign supposedly at the other end of that road pointing its way to Stone Harbor

SO I mentioned to Lynn bet it could be a quicker route rather than around the long highway. ( should have kept my big mouth shut! ) He immediately turned and we started on our way we hadnt gone a mile before the road drastically changed to a one lane road... at a bridge that looked like it went on into oblivion and said Stone Harbor~ 7 miles .. this bridge was a clap board bridge with side rails about 8 inches on each side... and remember I said it was getting dusk and no one knew we had started up this road and it was 1991.... no cell phones.. we traversed the marsh just barely going right above the marsh grass... all I could imagine was our car crashing through and being devoured and never seen again!

That was the longest 7 miles I have ever travelled and when we got back to our hosts home they said that road is virtually condemned... they were really surprised it was open. I meanwhile saw still so stunned and cramped with my white knuckles I couldnt speak for about 2 days! below is all that remains of that road... now they have a nice new road!


Image result for cape may road to nowhere one way\
Labelled Cape May's road to nowhere.. Yes, this was it... for sure!

2 comments:

  1. I'm from South Jersey so am familiar with Cape May. Sounds like you made it an adventure after all : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have wanted to make either of those journeys you described!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~