Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tempted to Want to Go

Now these shots really tempt me... I can definitely put Yorkshire on my bucket list of places to see.The shire is calling to me..
Photobucket


and the dales charm me to my soul!!
Photobucket

This one, perhaps my favorite of all... I simply adore sheep... such serene yet frolicsome animals.
Photobucket
Now if you are like me you might be wondering exactly what is a dale... i mean I have heard of them before,, but to the exact meaning...


Etymology: Middle English, from Old English dæl; akin to Old High German tal valley, Welsh dôl
Date: before 12th century

: valley, vale


As copied from wikipedia the below information contained a wealth of information I researching for further investigation... Why is it that research is so much more fun now than it was 4o years ago!!


The Yorkshire Dales (also known as The Dales) is the name given to an upland area, in Northern England.

The Dales is a collection of river valleys and the hills among them, rising from the Vale of York westwards to the hilltops of the main Pennine watershed (the British English meaning). In some places the area even extends westwards across the watershed, but most of the valleys drain eastwards to the Vale of York, into the Ouse and then the Humber.

The Pennines are a low-rising mountain range in northern England and southern Scotland. They separate the North West of England from Yorkshire and the North East.

Often said to be the "backbone of England",[1][2][3] they form an unbroken range stretching from the Peak District in Derbyshire, through the Yorkshire Dales, around the northern and eastern edges of Greater Manchester, the West Pennine Moors of Lancashire and Cumbrian Fells to the Cheviot Hills on the Anglo-Scottish border. North of the Aire Gap the Pennines give out a western spur into Lancashire, the Forest of Bowland and south of the gap is a similar spur, the Rossendale Fells.[4]

Although the above is a common definition, the Cheviot Hills are not strictly speaking part of the Pennines, being separated by the Tyne Gap and the Whin Sill, along which run the A69 and Hadrian's Wall - however due to the Pennine Way route crossing them they are often treated as such. Conversely, although the southern end of the Pennines is commonly said to be somewhere in the High Peak district of Derbyshire, often Edale (the start of the Pennine Way); they in fact extend south into Staffordshire and Cheshire, as can be seen by looking at a relief map. The true southern end of the Pennines is actually in the Stoke on Trent area, around 40 mi (64 km) south of Edale.Now to get out my pen and paper and draw myself a map!!

I'll leave everyone with this thought.. by a famous Yorkshire resident of yore...

"'I think it was the fact that I liked it so much that made the writing just come out of me automatically. "
James Herriot

Now there is someone I can really associate with!!! Aw... so much to learn!!!






3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful Pics !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Pretty Interesting would love to visit such place..

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~