Friday, March 20, 2009

Favorite Family Foto Friday

Photobucket
Visit Deborah at Pictures, Pots, and Pens for more FFFF!
Photobucket
This morning I'd like to share this photo of my great, great grandmother, Martha Watson Blair. She was my maternal grandmother's grandma and as I understand it she was not a favorite. But she was married to William Sydney Blair who was quite the dashing figure of the family, a scholar of aristocratic bloodlines. Martha, unfortunately, allowed her good match go to her head, for she was enamored with her station in life and let it go to her head. The Blair connection is my closest connection to my Scottish heritage. Capt. Thomas Blair. William Sydney's, grandfather, actually was a Scottish Tory officer in the Revolutionary war, but was wounded so seriously he was left for dead in North Carolina. The war ended while he recuperated and he migrated to southwest Virginia where he established the first iron works in that area and helped to settle Grayson County.
I was always pleased to have this photo of Martha, because we are all proud of our Blair heritage and we named our daughter Amanda Blair to keep the name in the family!

5 comments:

  1. Good morning; I really enjoyed reading your tribute about you Great Great grandma.. What a great photo of her, and how sweet to keep her name alive in your daughter.... Love the sheep too. they are so so sweet looking... have a great weekend.

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photo, I enjoyed the history of your family. If I remember my history there where quit a few Scottish Troys, during the war. After the war many immigrated to the Mountains in The Carolinas and Virgina because it reminded them of the mountains of Scotland.
    Happy Anniversary.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Happy Anniversary!! Wonderful Photo and history. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that picture! What fun it is to take a walk into the past! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!!! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo is very well preserved. Your great-great grandmother looks like she was a very happy and sweet woman.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~