Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My 500th Post

Photobucket
I can't believe that I have posted 500 times since I started blogging last April! This has really become a favorite pastime for me. I really enjoy this type of journaling! For this momentous occasion, I would like to share about my hometown.
I was born here, and except for the stint over seas from 1972-73, I've lived here all of these 58 years.
Living here in Virginia, we enjoy very seasonable weather. This wintry sky was taken yesterday out my backdoor.
Photobucket
The photo on my WFW post was taken of part of the winter skyline downtown this week. Hopefully, I'll be photograghing some fluffy white stuff later this week according to the local forecast.
But back to my town!
Named after the Indians who used to live nearby, our town grew up along the rail line of the Norfolk and Western railroad.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We are a composite of the old and the new, and even newer!
Photobucket
I have seen many changes to our town, and of course many things remain the same, but one thing is for certain. I never really wanted to live anywhere else,....well, perhaps, maybe in Scotland! DUH!
It seems these days, I'm doing a major part of living at my church!
Photobucket
But that is great, because I know that for this season of my life, I
am doing the will of the Father! When I'm not at church I love being at home!
Photobucket
It is nice living at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains!
Photobucket
Actually, we're pretty much surrounded by mountains here.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Known to have around 100,000 in population, our town is hard pressed to grow due to the terrain. I live just a couple blocks from the southern city line, and around 7 miles from the mountains, and myriads of neighborhoods continue to spring up on
Photobucket
the mountains slopes making that area the fastest growing in our locale.
Photobucket
By far, this is my favorite icon of my town- the H&C coffee sign!
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 500 post Carolyn YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I think in the past I have read you are from Roanoke. We have been in your area a few times. Where would you recommend visiting while there? We usually go a little south of your city. Trust you are having a great day! God Bless A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! Congrats on 500 posts..wow! That is something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 500 posts . WoW that is really something and I know what you mean by how much fun it is to blog and to visit other blogs. I asked my hubby if he thought I was foolish to spend time this way but he said I seem freshly inspired by reading about other women and what they do. That makes it worthwhile. Your town is lovely. I have one stray grand daughter who lives in Virginia so I am partial to that part of the country too.
    Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 500!! That is wonderful!!!
    Look forward to reading more entries on your lovely blog in days to come!!
    Beautiful Blessings~Kelly Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your WFW! Love your home-town tour. The pictures are wonderful! I hope your weather is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! I'm up late looking at houses on-line and thought I'd take a break and surf on over to your blog. Congrats on your 500th post! I do hope you'll continue blogging, especially with the move coming up. It helps me keep up with what you and the family is up to and I love learning more about you through your writings!

    love,
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Schotzy! I've been taking a blogging (reading and posting) break for the past month, so I've missed some of those 500 posts. ;-) Congratulations, though!

    Your town is beautiful. If I knew you lived in VA, I'd forgotten it. I can't imagine living in such a pretty area. I have a niece who lives in Staunton. Hubby and I are hoping to visit her sometime this year, as I've never been to that area. She only moved to VA a couple of years ago for her job, and she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, carolyn on publishing 500 posts. It has been a joy to read your interesting journalling entries. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your 500th post! I have a little surprise for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 500 posts in less than a year! That's quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~