Thursday, January 22, 2009

Photobucket
Today marks the middle of winter- with no snow on the horizon, I am now looking forward to spring!
I was walking around the yard yesterday afternoon and was enjoying the play of the setting sunlight on the environs. As I meandered up the sideyard I enjoyed the beauty of the haws on our thriving yearling hawthorn tree. I dreamed of how wonderful it will be when the tree grows to maturity in a few years.
Photobucket
Last year we suffered such a devastasting year when we lost so many trees to storm and drought, yet the newness of life continues with our new plantings. I have gotten somewhat used to the exposure of our home which used to be so sweetly shrouded in the shade of several spreading maples, and now is laid bare to passersby.
I look forward to the coming spring and the fresh and delicate blooms of the budding red maples and the white blosoms which will spring forth on this wonderful hawthorn.
THE HAWTHORN TREE
by: Willa Cather (1873-1947)

CROSS the shimmering meadows--
Ah, when he came to me!
In the spring-time,
In the night-time,
In the starlight,
Beneath the hawthorn tree.

Up from the misty marsh-land--
Ah, when he climbed to me!
To my white bower,
To my sweet rest,
To my warm breast,
Beneath the hawthorn tree.

Ask of me what the birds sang,
High in the hawthorn tree;
What the breeze tells,
What the rose smells,
What the stars shine--
Not what he said to me!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet poem! I am such a nut about nature! I just drink it all in!! God has some amazing handiwork!!
    :) Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Willa Cather- I just read one of her books, My Antonia, last year and loved it!

    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~