Friday, June 13, 2008

Show and Tell Friday

Show and Tell

This week as I join in with Kelli's Show and Tell Friday. This week we are sharing heirloom linens and things. To find more or to join in the fun go to
www.kellishouse.blogspot.com/

Even though my mother in law, Pheroby passed away a year prior to our wedding, we still treasure so much the beautiful heirlooms that have passed on to us. Pheroby was an amazing embroiderer. We have many beautiful table scarves and cloths, pillow cases, and doilies she made, many of which I have passed on to Amanda. Here is an example of the beautiful needlework she created.
Photobucket
and at closer examination:
Photobucket

On my side of the family I have some very valuable treasures. My great grand mother Cox had a loom and spinning wheel in her workroom that my mother remembers visiting and seeing her work the pedals. GGM Louvenia grew the flax, sheared the sheep, spun and dyed the wool and linen using natural plants from the farm, and wove the cloth. Here is a beautiful woolen quilt she made.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I usually keep in under cover to keep it from fading out.
I also treasure this table scarf she wove and tatted the edges.
Photobucket
Notice the fleur-de-lis she wove into the pattern of the cloth.(seen better on photobucket if you click on the photo)
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Wow...some amazing treasures. How I would love to have a spinning wheel myself.

    I especially like the "Mother" worked into the edging.

    Fabulous Show N Tell.

    Have a super Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by! I LOVE that mother scarf. I have a crochet doily that says Staff of Life....I can't believe people know how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful craftwork ! These women had patience which I don't have at all,lol !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't you love to have that spinning wheel today!? Our daughter Laura was a Civil War re-enactor and when we'd go watch their "battles" sometimes there would be a heritage weekend to go along with it. I remember watching this woman weave yarn onto a loom. They had sheared their own sheep, spun it nto wool, dyed it, loomed and then she made it into the dress she was wearing! I was AMAZED!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff--I have not seen the word mother on a doily before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful items. I am sure you cherish them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep running into you. Your entry is sweet. I love, love, love linens. I have collected them for years. I was an antique dealer and what happened was wealthier dealers went for the furniture and glassware. I was poor and had a tiny budget and no one wanted the linens, so I bought them all up. LOL I like that mother linen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful linens! I love the first one.

    Ruuta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed this last week -- those are all so beautiful. And to have them hand done by relatives makes them even more special.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~