Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thankgiving Memories

Photobucket


Photobucket

I remember my dear Granny. Next year the angels will celebrate her 25th year in glory. She was the quintessential granny. She was a marvelous cook, her love for her family was boundless and she was fun-spirited. What she didn't have materially she more than made up for from her heart. Thanksgiving at her house was a time of real celebration at the table. She always served at least two meats, one was invariably a pork roast. Her mashed potatoes were to die for, and her biscuits were sublime. But everyone looked forward to dessert! There were always a least 3-5 choices including coconut cake and pumpkin pie, but my favorite was her apple sauce cake with caramel icing. No one can make it like she did, and thankfully you didn't have to wait until Thanksgiving to get some. She had one everytime I remember being at her house.

Now going to stay at her house was a little different for me a city girl. Granny had no indoor facilities. I hated nighttime- going to the Johnny was no fun. And I invariably had to go!! She did have a chamber pot under the bed for very cold nights deep in the country where she lived. I just don't think I could make it that low to the ground anymore. Whoa!!

She did have electricity, and plumbing in the kitchen, but she cooked on a wood stove and the furnace in the living room was wood burning. Those two rooms were always hot! But the bedroom in the early morning was icy. I always wanted to sleep with Granny. She slept on 2 pillows and under at least 2 wool quilts. It was like sleeping by a huge mountain. Thankfully she was a peaceful and quiet sleeper. The cover was too heavy to toss and turn under. But she'd get up bright and early and always had the kitchen toasty warm by the time I had to arise. I remember counting 3 then throwing back the covers and running lickety split into the kitchen before my feet turned blue. No time to put on slippers. Dad will rale at me, "Carolyn, go put your shoe and socks on, but I'd whine, " BRRR,too cold to go back for 'em." Then he'd go get them and help me with em. Mom and Granny would be startingon the dinner feast even as the breakfast table was laden with sausage gravy and homemade biscuits. Yum! I wish I had some now!

8 comments:

  1. There's nothing quiet so special as a granny. I sure miss mine. Thanks for sharing your memories of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweet post about your granny!! I miss mine as well. I don't think mine was as good of a cook as yours!! ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories you've shared. It is wonderful that you have such special memories of your grandmother. Your description was so good, it made my feet cold! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! What a lovely story of special memories. I enjoyed your posts thoroughly! My Gramma was a wonderful cook, too. She made the best steak & mushroom gravy... yum. And pies. And biscuits. I wish I had some now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share some of the memories you have of your granny's home with you, my granny had an outside johnny. could you share the apple cake receipe?

    I just found your blog and have fallen in love with it. I also, love your beautiful dishes.

    I grew up in the south and still live a deep southern lifestyle.

    Please visit my site sometime.

    Sue

    Oh, I not a good at typing, spelling or grammar----so just overlook all the errors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT A LOVELY STORY AND WHAT WONDEFUL CHILD HOOD MEMORIES.THANK YOU FOR SHARING...ANN P.S.THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY MY LITTLE BLOG....SMILES

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT A LOVELY STORY AND WHAT WONDEFUL CHILD HOOD MEMORIES.THANK YOU FOR SHARING...ANN P.S.THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY MY LITTLE BLOG....SMILES

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you came from very good stock. ;-)

    I loved reading about your Granny, and your memories of being at her house.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~