Monday, July 14, 2008

Bluebird Reporting

Photobucket
Well, yesterday I did my first bluebird house monitoring. First, I slipped up to and stood to the side of the house and gently taped on the side. Then I carefully slipped the nail/in from the latch and while holding the front shut with my hand so as not to let it fly open I ever so carefully opened the front side just a small little bit and peeked inside. All I saw was a lazy spider and her web. I carefully dusted it away, closed the hatch and ruefully came in to send off my report to the Trail monitor who will make the official report. We had been told not to expect a third nesting this year, but I am still trying to attract them to the area. I have been feeding the birds a new mix and will put up a bluebird suet tomorrow near the house. It is not usual for adult birds to locate a place to live over the fall and winter so I am trying to make my site as attract as I can for them. I have created a bluebird journal. Today I recorded the birds I hve seen coming around the yard and feeder. I was thrilled to see 2 bluebirds chasing each other tree to tree this morning!PhotobucketPhotobucket

5 comments:

  1. Ooh - I love the "onion lamp" on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I see you have all the bird information at your fingertips...I think I'll send you a photo of a pair of birds that have been visiting us for the past while and we have no idea what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those bluebirds you have drawn out. Such an art-i-st!

    Enjoy bird watching ;>)

    love,
    dd

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I have only seen a bluebird once...it is such a beautiful bird. Your journal is lovely. Aren't bluejays fun to watch?!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bluebird journal! It looks stunning.

    I am making a special rose diary this year :-)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leading be to yours.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~