Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Thousand Gifts

Photobucket
The following I have copied from the beautiful site, Counting Your Blessings!
"I am accepting a challenge - a 1000 part challenge - and passing that challenge along to you. This is a passage that I read last night from a deeply moving blog, Holy Experience...
"A List of a Thousand Things, beginning with #1. I am daily jotting down items on my Thousand Gifts List, working, one-by-one, up to a thousand gifts. Not of gifts I want. But of gifts I have. As the moments slip down the hour glass of time, I am scratching down the gifts---just as they happen, as they arrive, as they are unwrapped---that He has given that make my life grace, the daily graces that He gives in an infinite number of ways, that stir me. "...windmills lazying in twilight's last breeze.... soft wool sweaters with turtle neck collars.... the faint smell of cattle and straw...." I am seeing things I have never seen before, atuned and aware of this constant, endless stream of gifts from His hand. I am one waking from slumber....from the stupor of indifference and ignorance. I have sight, fresh and keen---the world is new and full of His gifts. Too often I miss Him, oblivious, blind. I don't see all the good things that He is giving me, gracing me with, brushing my life with. True, He is everywhere, always. But maybe, before The Gift List, I thought of Him as further off, not so close. When I started to see all the things that I love bestowed upon me, I started to see Him as near, present, everywhere, showering me with good things. Seeing the things I love all around me gives me eyes to see that I am loved, that He loves me."
Not each and every one of them is necessarily spiritual. These are just two of her "gifts" mentioned in her blog:860. Leaning into the small of his back as we ride fields, wind in our hair;868. Cherries ripening out in the orchard
Although, as you go, you'll find that each and every one, no matter what they are, really and truly are spiritual. (James 1:17 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.)
If you are up for the challenge... List 6 things each day and by Christmas you will have a list of 1000 blessings. Imagine Christmas Eve, around the fire, with the ones you love most dearly, and sharing with them something you were thankful for today, July 8th! No rules - just note each day the things you have or experience that you are thankful for. Let's together see how this changes our lives..."
Of course I am 21 days behind so some days I realize I must list 7 which is the perfect number!

I just found every word copied above to be too marvelous not to share. I believe than anyone who visits the above sites will become so enamored with the blessings of our Lord and Savior that they ,too, will want to join the challenge!
So I begin my list:
1. I am extremely blessed by my dearest and beloved husband who demonstrates the love of God to me every day
2. Our precious daughter, Amanda, who celebrated her 23rd birthday yesterday , and her wonderful husband Joshua
3. God's messages through His powerful Word, the Bible
4. The wonders of a celtic melody that rouses my blood and calls to my spirit
5. The cooling air conditioner on such a hot humid day as today
6. The shadows of the drifting clouds as they dance across the lawn
7. Time to spend doing the things I love now that I am retired

2 comments:

  1. I'm praising God with you today for the air conditioning... and the telephone repair man... and the Tech guy who just happened to be visiting a friend today - the day that my computer program died! There are no coincidences, are there?! =) Blessings.. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea Schotzy! I shall really enjoy reading your thousand blessings. Many of them are my own I am sure, except fot the airconditioning...that is one blessing I wish I did have!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a huge blessing and encouragement to me~